My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Sunday, October 6, 2013

October is Here!

I have pulled out my small box of fall decorations and put them up: leaf garlands for the wreath out front and the mail box, a pumpkin I knitted a few years back that the girls liked playing with, and Halloween cookie cutters that I don't have energy to use this year.  Not much, but enough along with a white pumpkin sitting out on the front porch to make things festive. 

 
The girls and I also baked pumpkin granola (using our own pumpkin puree).  It made the house smell so good.  It has pumpkin, apple sauce, maple syrup and pumpkin pie spice in it and really just smells like fall.  I loved the scent while it lasted. 

 
The girls were big helps mixing everything up for me.  It was less stressful than last time I tried to make cookies with them.  They still made a mess but tried eating less of it.  Also having everything ready to put in helped--preparation is key when it comes to toddlers.  We have been eating it on cereal and with yogurt.  It is yummy but I think I'll put a little less maple syrup in it next time. 
 
This morning I made some pancakes using my usual recipe but substituted the rest of the pumpkin puree in for the egg.  They were delicious, moist and fluffy. I want to have them that way all year long now.  I put the extra in the freezer as usual.  So we'll see how well they hold up to that and heating in the toaster. 

No comments:

Post a Comment