My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Picking Apricots


My parents planted four apricot trees on their property some 30-40 years ago.  Over the years one has died and two are heading that way.  The last one though is going strong.  The girls and I have been out picking every other day or so for the past week. 

 
We have just gotten a couple handfuls off of the dying trees.  But yesterday we picked two buckets of apricots.  I plan to take them out this evening, once it has cooled a little to pick some more. 

 
D was a big help not only picking but also placing all her apricots out on a tray so they could finish ripening.

 
Then hopefully tomorrow or the next day we will be making some apricot jam.  My grandmother used to make apricot jam every year with apricots from our trees and it tasted so good.  I will have to figure out how to involve the girls in the jam making process.  Maybe they can try pitting the apricots with butter knives.


The apricots are so flavorful and delicious.


1 comment: