My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Monday, October 26, 2015

Halloween Cookies

We recently made some sugar cookies for Halloween.  Our orange and purple cookie cutters include shapes like a witch, pumpkin, ghost, cat, crescent moon, and bat.  This is the first year I've attempted sugar cookies with the girls because it is such a long process and messy!  Flour is loads of fun to play with and put everywhere, in case you didn't know.
 
 
I altered an old sugar cookie recipe to have pumpkin and pumpkin spices in them and it turned out better than I expected.
 
Pumpkin Sugar Cookies
 
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup sugar
1 stick butter
2/3 cup oil
2 eggs
1/2 cup pumpkin
4 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon cream of tartar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
(cloves would also be good but I didn't have any on hand)
1 teaspoon vanilla
 
Mix in order of appearance.  Knead for a little bit.  Add extra flour if too sticky and soft.  Roll out and use cookie cutters.  Bake at 350 degrees for 13 minutes or until golden brown around the edges.


Rolling pins are also lots of fun, especially when banging against the table.  The cookies are not too sweet and go really well with tea.  The pumpkin and spices give it a nice depth of flavor.


I'm glad we were able to do it (although I cut out most of the cookies once they were in bed).  I don't know if I'll want to do it again at Christmas this year.  Maybe try out some other cookie recipes instead.  Easy ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment