My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Saturday, September 8, 2012

Farmer's Market Bounty

We have been spending our Saturday mornings at the River Market while we can. Our bounty last week was beautiful, juicy peaches and lots of vegetables for a healthy stir fry.
 

I made peach crumble out of most of the peaches, adapting Ina Garten's plum crumble recipe.  Her recipe is one I have used countless time over the years adapting it to what ever fruits I have on hand.  The peaches were so flavorful and juicy.  They make me resent the flavorless store bought peaches we get most of the year.

 
The crumble crust is mixed up with butter and the peaches are all set with lime juice, flour and sugar. 
 

All put together and ready for 40 minutes in the oven.  I really should have used more peaches because the crumble crust was pretty thick but I wanted to save a couple for the girls to eat throughout the week.  And they really love the peaches!


Add a dollop of ice cream and you have a delicious summer bowl of fruity, crunchy perfection.


And the vegetables . . . let's not forget about the vegetables.  Organic carrots, green beans, red bell pepper, and bamboo spinach.  So fresh and colorful.

 
Eggplant, red bell pepper and bamboo spinach all prepped for the pan.

 
To fry with all the veggies, I rehydrated chick peas (garbanzo beans) over night.  I boiled them in a frying pan with water until it all evaporated.  Then I added a tablespoon of canola oil and fried them.  Frying them instead of just boiling them really gives them a better depth of flavor and more pleasing texture.


Kevin made the stir fry so I can't tell you all the went into it.  I know he added onions and probably soy sauce, the rest is a mystery.


But it turned out delicious, so flavorful.  Served over a bed of rice, it made a delicious and healthy meal.  We'll continue going to the farmers' market on the weekends that Kevin is off until the season is over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment