My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Friday, September 6, 2013

First Signs of Fall

Cooler nights and the start of 'school' (unfortunately along with the colds picked up there) are this year's heralds for the beginning of fall.  So excited!  It has been a wonderfully mild summer, but fall is my favorite season and I can't wait for its arrival. 

To celebrate, I got started on the girls' Halloween costumes.  I won't tell you what they will be yet.  I know nobody cares that much or will get out anything out of me keeping it a surprise, but the thought of it just makes me smile so I will keep it to myself for now.  When I have some pictures of it all together in the next month or so, then I will share what it really is. 

In the mean time this is what I made yesterday:  little black tutus.

 
Unfortunately only one is complete because I ran out of tulle.  I thought 4 1/2 yards would be enough for two, but apparently not.  For now, the second tutu has a small gap in one side that will only be remedied by a trip to Hobby Lobby.

To make the tutus, I followed this Treasure for Tots tutorial on Pinterest.  Man, it went by so much faster than when I had previously made them.  It was so easy and quick to cut out.  I'll never make it another way again.

 
 
I bought 4 yards of tulle and had a 1/2 yard from another project to use.  The tulle was from a 45" bolt, not one of those 6" wide spools that the tutorial mentions.  So I had to wrap the tulle lengthwise and cut it along the side before I could cut the strips into the right length.  


But it went fast and turned out great.  I was able to cut it while the girls were at their 'school'.  And then I made the skirts while watching them play.  D was a great help.  I had left the strips on the template under one rubber band and was pulling them out one by one as I used them.  So she started pulling them out and handing them to me as I needed them.  She was so cute.  She kept saying "your welcome" after each one even when I didn't always say "thank you" after each one.  It'll be so much fun when they are older and able to do more crafty things with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment