My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Sewing Skirts and a Dress

I decided to make some green skirts for the girls for St. Patrick's Day.  Green is not a color they really have much of in their wardrobe.  Mostly pink, purple, blue.  I knew I wanted something festive for them to wear.  While getting some random items at Walmart, I stopped by the material and craft section.  I saw, to my amazement, the racks fully stocked with cute new designs and colors unlike the usual sad and empty selection.  I bought 3 half yards of coordinating greens. 

 
 I have made this type of skirt before following a tutorial and it really is such an easy and cute skirt.  The twins' skirts are different with the order of the prints.  For M's I didn't quite have enough, so one of the strips is much thinner than the others and I had to throw in a little be of another scrap fabric so there would be enough.  The skirts are similar yet very different, just like sisters.


I had D and T's skirts done by St. Patrick's Day so they could wear them to their Tiny Tots class.  M didn't get hers until a few days ago, but she didn't mind (I'm enjoying her lack of strong opinions concerning her wardrobe while I can!).


Last month I also had a quick sewing project, making a dress for little H's birthday.  Toddler M "helped" me with the pins.  I can sew with her in the room for a little bit while she is distracted looking through things.  But she has discovered that the sewing machine makes a loud beep when she pushes buttons.  Now she's tall enough to reach them, she usually heads that way before long and makes sewing difficult.  Still at least I can get a little done.

 This dress is one I had planned and prepped from when the twins were little and never got around to making.  I used store bought tank top, using the bottom half of it to make a ruffle. It turned out cute and was really fast to make, especially since I had already hemmed it two years ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment