My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Chicken Tenders and Slow Cooked Pork

Last Sunday we had fried chicken for lunch and dinner from the supermarket.  Kevin loves fried chicken but I am not the biggest fan--too greasy and fatty for me.  Even though the greasiness left me feeling blah, I still felt like chicken.  So Tuesday I tried out something a bit healthier. Baked breaded chicken tenders--a recipe from Robin Miller on Foodnetwork. 

It turned out well, the tenders required no trimming like I usually have do a little with chicken breasts.  It was quick and easy.  I mixed the breading while the girls sat in their high chairs munching on some graham crackers.  I breaded the chicken and got them situated on the cookie sheet (and even took a picture) while the girls napped. Working with raw chicken while having to constantly pick up their toys makes me uneasy even though I always wash my hands, so nap time was it.  I baked some immediately after breading and some I let marinade for a day or two.  The flavor of the chicken on the ones that marinaded was better but the crunchy outside of the oats on the immediately cooked batch was also nice.  All in all, I think I prefer the marinaded ones. (I forgot to take a picture of them baked and arranged in a flattering way on a serving platter.  Maybe next time).

Tonight I'm slow cooking pork shoulder.  I really don't use the slow cooker for anything but sterilizing bottles and cooking beans, so this is something new and different for me.  The pork is a good 7 lbs and all the recipes I've seen are for 2-3 lbs of pork.  So needless to say, I'm cooking it longer than 8 hours on low.  How long?  I don't know yet.  I cut up and onion and two cloves of garlic; added coriander (from last year's cilantro plant), rosemary, and oregano, along with salt and pepper.  I tried to submerge the pork in water but it's too big, at least a quarter inch is sticking out.  I'll just have to flip it over when I'm up in the middle of the night.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! When I cook roasts in the slow-cooker I only add 1/4 cup of water so it's ok that the top was sticking out. A lot of liquid comes out of the veggies and the meat so I always have enough "gravy".
    Becky

    ReplyDelete
  2. K, good to know. It turned out delicious. Definitely going to make it again, although I need to add more salt next time. Hubby prefers things saltier than I do and even I thought it was a little light on the salt.

    ReplyDelete