My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Saturday, June 16, 2012

Birthday Cake-Smash Photo Shoot: Take #1

The girls turn ONE on Monday. I know, I can't believe it either. So today, we took pictures of them eating cake. I got a couple cute photos, but some vital things went wrong.  That is why this is Take #1. Tuesday we will try again and hopefully be more successful.  


 I took a couple of cute photos of them in their tutus and party hats.  The party hats I made very quickly earlier in the day.  They are felt and very easy and fun to make.  I just cut out the cone shape using a disassembled dollar store party hat as a pattern and cut out felt flowers and leaves.  I layered everything on the cone while it was flat.   Then I tacked down the flowers with a few stitches on the sewing machine.  I folded it inside out, sewed up the seam and turned it right side out.  Pinned to their hair bands it makes a quick, easy and cute party hat.  


One of the main problems with the photos is that the set is obviously not in a studio.  I really would like a more polished, professional look with these photos.  The walls and closet doors make it look pretty bad.  So I will purchase a second pink table cloth and hang both of them so that the background is all pink and girly and hopefully a little better looking. 



Another problem was the cake itself.   I tried to make a healthy cake with applesauce and no sugar using a recipe that I had found online.   Man, did that thing turn out dense.   It was like a brick. Dara picked up the whole thing and just started gnawing on it. There was just no smash in the cake-smash . . . their little hands couldn't do any damage to it.

Poor Tess was really upset about something by the time we brought the cake out.  Either the hat was really bothering her or she was still having teething pain or the whipped cream frosting felt too weird.  Needless to say, she was not a happy little birthday girl and was crying in most of the pictures. 

Hopefully we will fix the glitches by Tuesday.  And I really hope that Tess and Dara will be in radiant moods and smile for the camera!

No comments:

Post a Comment