My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Birthday Cake-Smash Photo Shoot: Take #2


 I consider this photo shoot much more successful than the previous.  Having the all pink backdrop looks so much better than the closet doors and the wall.  So much better.  This time I baked a cake that was much lighter and more smashable . . . although that didn't end up mattering.

Another improvement I forgot to mention on the last post was their diapers.  When I bought these faux jeans diapers months ago, I knew I wanted them in their cake-smash pictures.  For anyone interested in where I got them, this is a great site for cheap, cute cloth diapers: Just Simply Baby.  On Saturday, however, they were at the bottom of the dirty diaper wet bag and I resorted to using the pink and orange diaper covers.  Today I made sure they were clean!  They just look so cute in their little blue jeans.



There were still problems and details I wish were better, of course.  The girls did not like wearing their party hats.  So to save the stress and the mess, we left them off for the actual cake pictures.


Dara was very quick on the draw and got to the cakes before we moved Tess in closer.  She decided she couldn't pick them both up and settled on just grabbing hers, silly girl.  But I would have liked to have a picture of both of them sitting, smiling at the camera, with the cakes in front of them.  I can always dream, can't I?  In fact there were very few smiles which is the norm with these girls at picture time.


There were sadly some more tears.  I think it is the frosting that is setting her off.  Tess tried reaching for her cake a couple of times but really did not like the frosting getting on her.


I got a few this time where she was not crying, so that is progress.  She managed to get some frosting on her foot and we fed her a couple small pieces, but that is the extent of her cake-smashing.


Dara was very cooperative and gave me a lot of great shots, but there technically was no cake-smash.  She just picked it up again with both hands and started gnawing on it like last time.  Funny girl!  If I was doing a Take #3 (which I'm not) I would bake one big cake and let her have at it.  Tess would probably just sit and watch her sister.  Dara would still try to pick it up, I'm sure, but I think she would actually have to resort to smashing it into pieces to eat it.


The aftermath:  Today is bath day anyway, so I just brought them up to the tub.  Had to rinse a lot off Dara and you can see her hand prints on the tub ledge.  The frosting made the bathtub more slippery than usual and we had a couple slips and crying.  But no major damage luckily.  I would recommend the slip-proof bath mats for this clean up.


I cleaned the 'set' up too.  After lunch I shot some more photos of them.  I had a great idea for the chalk board signs for the next time that I use them.  The girls always pick them up and most the time they end up backwards with no writing on them.  So my brilliant idea is write the same thing on front and back so there will always be writing showing.  Of course that doesn't help when the signs are upside down or out of order.  1 OLD YEAR!


Back to tutus and party hats.  I know I'm their mother and very prejudice, but they are the most adorable baby girls ever!



This will be the last take.  I'm pretty well satisfied with the photos I got and I'm also very tired.  We are throwing them a late birthday party in July when all the family is out visiting so I'll have some more birthday photos in a month.  A big thank you to my husband for helping me out with both photo shoots.  Keeping track of both crawling babies, the props and the camera would have been impossible without him. 

No comments:

Post a Comment