My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Monday, December 24, 2012

Christmas Eve


In our family, Christmas Eve was always the main event. Christmas Day we would spend at another relative’s or have everyone over at my parents’ house. Christmas Eve was always more of a select group.   My siblings and I, my parents and my grandparents were often the only people there.  Occasionally other close friends, relatives, or random people that needed a place for the holidays came as well. Uncle Henry was a permanent fixture on Christmas Eve until he passed when I was ten.  Occasionally one of our uncles and a cousin would spend it with us as well if they were visiting my Grandparents.  And I even remember a Christmas Eve where two climbers my brother had met up at the Monument (i.e. Joshua Tree National Park) came.  Generally though, Christmas Eve was just for us. 

Christmas Eve was also when we opened all the presents from everyone which of course influenced my preference for Christmas Eve as a child.  We would get a present from Santa, a plate of cookies and a full stocking the next morning which was great too.  Christmas Eve always had a ritual about it because it was the same every year.  Christmas Day changed depending on who we had it with.  During the day on the 24th, my sister or I would bake Christmas cookies.  Our dinner that night was always fish (a tradition from my father’s family) and usually salt potatoes, peas and we could never forget the rolls (Grandpa had to have his rolls).  After dessert and topping off the wine or eggnog and brandy (of course we kids only had that when we were older), we would move into the living room where our Christmas tree stood looking beautiful.  When everyone was settled down into the couches or chairs one of us kids (always me once my siblings got older and didn’t want to anymore) would pass out presents.  After opening them and thanking the givers, we would explore our new treasures while spending time with each other.  I have so much nostalgia for those Christmas Eves. 

Everyone is back home in California.  My oldest brother flew out from Japan with his girlfriend, my other brother is there, and my sister drove up with her family.  It makes me sad that we are so far away.  The Christmas focus has moved onto the next generation. Holden, his future sister and the girls will be getting all presents to open.  We are having a quiet Christmas Eve here in Little Rock with nothing much planned. We will wait until Christmas morning to open the presents because the girls are not so tired then (and me too).  I do have dough prepped to bake today so we’ll have Christmas cookies like always.  Hopefully in two years, my family and I will get to be back at the home I was raised in for Christmas and celebrate in the traditions that have made such a lasting impression on me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment