My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Baby Quilt #2


I have been making some progress on baby quilt #2.  The center section of the quilt top is pieced. I pieced the thirteen butterfly blocks in the evenings after the girls were in bed.  Sewing them together was quick and easy after I had gotten them all made. 



This is a photo of baby quilt #1 which I finished before the girls were born.  I decided to follow the same quilt layout for baby quilt #2 except instead of pinwheels, the pieced blocks are butterflies.  There are twenty five main squares that alternate between a solid block and a pieced block.  The center is surrounded by some sashing, contrast rickrack and then the border.


It was my first quilt and took me a long time to do and get it right.  I think it took me close to eight months, working on it little by little.  Here is the proof that they were still in my belly when I completed the first one.  That was my goal, having one finished by the time they were born.  I really liked how it turned out.


I machine quilted the straight lines of the pinwheels and bars along the border.  But I hand quilted designs in the solid blocks.  Hand quilting did not take me as long as I had anticipated because I had to rest a lot by that point in the pregnancy.  I laid on the couch for hours at a time and needed to keep my hands busy.  Hand quilting portions of baby quilt #2 may take a bit longer now that the girls are out of my belly and crawling all over the place!


There are eight small pieced pinwheel blocks around the border, which helps the quilt border really pop.  And right now that is where I am currently stuck on baby quilt #2. 









The pattern I took the butterfly squares from made a 6 1/2" block only. I need to resize it to a 4 1/2" block.  It shouldn't be too hard to do, but I keep putting it off. I would like to have the quilt top completely pieced by the time the girls turn one, but time is slipping away fast and I'm busy with other projects.  So we'll see if I make it.




No comments:

Post a Comment