My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Monday, May 7, 2012

Lion Brand Story Contest

This is the story I entered for the Lion Brand story contest.  I actually first entered because it was really nice to share something about my grandmother.  She passed away in August of Alzheimer's.  For the most part I grieved for her loss while she was still living, as I saw her lose pieces of herself.  There was little grief left when she actually passed.  But every once in awhile memories of her pop up and make me miss her very much.  She was a very sweet and loving grandmother and it is nice to share this memory of her.

Although sharing this memory is its own reward for me, it would also be nice to win a yarn shopping spree.  The deadline for votes is May 13th.  The link below takes you to the page to vote for my story:

http://apps.facebook.com/lbstorycontest/contests/202727/voteable_entries/46989500

The theme of the contest was, “What is the most meaningful handmade gift you have ever given or received?”

Grandma's Red and White scarf

When I was twelve, I knitted a striped red and white basketweave scarf for my Grandmother for Christmas. It was my first big knitting project. It was skinny in some places and fat in others. I hadn’t yet learned to weave in the ends, so there was a knotted clump at each color change. The colors were a fire engine red and bright white; my Grandmother generally wore pink and pastels so it clashed with everything she owned. In all it was a really horrible present. I thought so even though I was still giving it to her. But when she opened the present Christmas Eve she rave about how wonderful it was and well- made and beautiful. She made me feel like a talented, special kid. I saw her wear it only once to a small family gathering. And even though I was twelve I realized all the great things she said about the scarf was her being a wonderful Grandmother regardless of my knitting skill and color choice. I knew someday I want to be a Grandmother like her, always sweet and loving. We lost my Grandmother this year to Alzheimer’s. It is nice to be able to share this memory of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment