My Life

I am a mother of three precious girls, an avid crafter and have recently returned to California after eight years in other states

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Blueberry Pie and Turning 30

We went to the River Market farmers market on Saturday for the first time this year.  Kevin carried Tess in the Snugli on his back and Dara rode with me in the Baby Bjorn.  We got a quarter watermelon, strawberries, radishes, an eggplant, mint and a quart of blueberries.  The strawberries got eaten right away as we sat on the grass near the pavilion feeding the girls their breakfast.  They had oatmeal and cantaloupe for breakfast but got to nom on some fresh, delicious strawberry too.  Nothing like delicious fresh fruit.

At home I diced up the watermelon into chunks while Kevin rough chopped the mint leaves in the food processor.  Mixed together they make the perfect refreshing dessert for a warm day (and it was hot and humid over the weekend).  The mint gives the watermelon such a depth of flavor.  I wish we hadn't eaten it all so I can eat some now. 

The blueberries, beside being eaten as a snack and over my morning cereal, went into this:



I never tried blueberry pie before living in New York and never wanted to try it because it didn't seem appealing.  Boy, was I wrong.  I love blueberry pie!  It is probably my favorite.  This one turned out delicious except the edges were a bit darker than I was hoping for.  This was also the first time I made a lattice top for a pie.  It was easy to do and just looks neat. 

Today I plan to make the dough for chocolate chip cookies that I found on Pinterest.  Apparently they are supposed to be the best cookies ever and since I have yet to find a chocolate chip cookie recipe I like, I thought I'd try them out and see if it is what I'm looking for.  Here is the website for the cookie recipe:
I'll let you know what I think of them and if they are worth purchasing cake flour and bread flour.

Oh and it's my birthday today.  I'm 30 years old.  How did that happen?  No big plans today, just continuing to transition babies to one nap and visiting a friend who I didn't tell it was my birthday. Last year she baked me a cake because I had mentioned that I always bake my own birthday cakes.  It was really sweet of her but she's a busy mom of three and doesn't need more things to do.  So today I will tell her that it is my birthday and she doesn't have to do anything except wish me a happy birthday (well, and gossip with me, and give me baby advice on naps and feeding).   

Kevin is on call today, so I don't get to see him until tomorrow.  Bummer.  But when I checked my email this morning I found a gift certificate for a day spa from my loving husband.  So I will be celebrating my birthday at some point with a facial and massage, and maybe a pedicure.  Love it!  and I love my husband. 

1 comment:

  1. I forgot to add that Boulevard's Pale Ale goes amazingly well with the blueberry pie.

    ReplyDelete